This quick and easy activity can be used to build hand and shoulder strength and for practicing open and closing the hand for pre-scissor skills. We took turns hiding it on each other to work on visual perceptual skills. I made sure to hide them up high and down low to work on building shoulder muscles.
- Salad tongs
- Small sized objects – balls, puffs, crumpled up paper, toys
- Bucket or bowl
- Scatter the objects on the floor, on the couch and on tables. Various heights will allow for different muscles being used in the shoulder. Count the objects to practice counting skills.
- Set up the bucket in the middle of the room.
- Your child/children will find the objects, pick them up with the salad tongs and put them in the bucket.
This activity can be made less or more difficult by:
- Decreasing/increasing the distance between the objects and the bucket.
- Decreasing/increasing the amount of objects.
- Decreasing/increasing the size of the objects and the size of the bucket